Paul W. Hurcomb
Paul’s employment law practice focuses on advising and defending employers in a full range of employment issues. He has represented clients in claims and litigation involving noncompetition agreements, trade secrets, breach of contract, wrongful discharge, unlawful discrimination, sexual harassment, and retaliation. Paul provides proactive counseling and advice to his clients in a variety of areas, such as protecting trade secrets and confidential information, drafting employment and executive agreements, independent contractor agreements, employment policies and handbooks, severance agreements, wage and hour issues, employee discipline, employment termination, avoiding wrongful termination and discrimination claims, and compliance with federal and state law, including Title VII, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Colorado Wage Claim Act, employment authorization and I-9 documentation, and the Family and Medical Leave Act.
In January, 2016, Paul was appointed County Attorney for Teller County, Colorado representing the Board of County Commissioners, Board of Review, Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, elected officials and departments in a full range of governmental matters.
- Bachelor of Arts, Tufts University, 1990
- Juris Doctor, University of Notre Dame, 1994
Memberships and Affiliations
- Notre Dame Law Association – Board Member, 2014 – Present
- Colorado Bar Association, Vice-President, Fifth District and Member of Executive Council, 2010-2011
- Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training (COBALT) – Chairman of Executive Committee, 2011-2012, Program Committee, 2010-11, Class Member, 2010
- El Paso County Bar Foundation – Board of Directors, 2007-2010
- El Paso County Bar Association – Trustee, 2006-2008
- Legal Aid Foundation, El Paso County Committee – 2005-2010
- The Ben S. Wendelken Inn of Court, El Paso County, Colorado – 2002-Present
- Minnesota State Courts, 1994
- Colorado State Courts, 2001
- United States District Court, Colorado, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, 2001
- Admitted to bar, Minnesota, 1994
- Admitted to bar, Colorado, 2000
- Paul serves on the Executive Committee of the firm’s management.
- Paul has received the highest rating (AV) from the Lexis-Nexis® Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability for both employment law and litigation.
- Sparks Willson (2001-present)
- JAG in the United States Air Force Judge Advocate Corps (1994-2001)