Paul W. Hurcomb
Mr. Hurcomb is a 3rd generation lawyer and a native Vermonter who obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Notre Dame in 1994. Paul joined Sparks Willson in 2001, after serving for nearly 6 years on active duty as an Air Force JAG.
Paul leads our Employment Law practice and focuses on advising and defending employers in a full range of employment issues. Paul provides proactive counseling and advice to our business clients on employment policies and handbooks, employment agreements, protecting trade secrets and confidential information, independent contractor agreements, severance agreements, wage and hour issues, employee discipline, employment termination, avoiding wrongful termination and discrimination claims and compliance with federal and state law. He represents and defends clients on a wide variety of employment law claims, including discrimination claims, wrongful discharge, wage claims, and noncompetition agreements.
Paul also represents Teller County as its appointed County Attorney since January 2016. In this capacity, he advises and represents the Teller County Board of County Commissioners, elected officials and departments, Planning Commission, Board of Review, and the Board of Adjustment, in a full range of governmental legal matters.
Paul has enjoyed living in Colorado Springs for over 20 years and while outside the office, he can usually be found skiing, playing tennis, and fly fishing.
- Juris Doctor, University of Notre Dame (1994)
- Bachelor of Arts, Tufts University (1990)
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Board of Trustees, Legal Aid Foundation of Colorado (2019-Present)
- Board Member, Notre Dame Law Association (2014-Present)
- Chairman, Executive Committee, Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training (COBALT) (2011-2012)
- Vice President and Member of Executive Council, Colorado Bar Association; Fifth District (2010-2011)
- Member, Program Committee, Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training (COBALT) (2010-2011)
- Class Member, Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training (COBALT) (2010)
- Board of Directors, El Paso County Bar Foundation (2007-2010)
- Trustee, El Paso County Bar Association (2006-2008)
- Member, El Paso County Committee, Legal Aid Foundation (2005-2010)
- Member, The Ben S. Wendelken Inn of Court; El Paso County, Colorado (2002-Present)
- United States Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit (2001)
- United States District Court; Colorado (2001)
- Colorado State Courts (2000)
- Minnesota State Courts (1994)
- Colorado (2000)
- Minnesota (1994)
- Chief Operational Officer on the firm’s Executive Committee
- Paul has received the highest rating (AV) from the Lexis-Nexis® Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability for both employment law and litigation.
- Sparks Willson (2001-Present)
- JAG, United States Air Force Judge Advocate Corps (1994-2001)